Light and fluffy pancakes and no baking powder needed! These pancakes have that classic flavor perfect for topping with maple syrup, fruit, or your favorite toppings.
More than once I’ve been in the mood to make homemade pancakes only to discover that I’m all out of baking powder.
And if you’ve seen any of my other recipes, you know I refuse to make a special trip to the grocery store for a single ingredient.
So when it comes to making pancakes, I had to find a way to get that light and fluffy texture without baking powder.
Since baking powder is a leavening agent, it provides the majority of that wonderful lift. So we have to get a little creative, but luckily this recipe isn’t difficult to make at all!
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you have the next time you want to make pancakes when you’re out of baking powder.
Related: Air fryer pancakes
How to Make Homemade Pancakes without Baking Powder
This recipe yields about eight pancakes, which is enough for my family of four. How many pancakes you get does depend on how big (or small) you make yours.
Prep time is about ten minutes and cook time is another fifteen minutes, give or take.
You’ll need two mixing bowls, a hand mixer, a spatula, and your preferred cooking surface. Sometimes I use a griddle, but I usually use a cast iron skillet. The choice is your.
When making pancakes from scratch, most recipes call for baking powder to produce a light and fluffy texture.
But just because you’re out of baking powder doesn’t mean you can’t make a tasty batch of fluffy pancakes. In fact, this recipe uses common ingredients that you probably already have on hand.
Related: Dairy free pancakes
Since we are using common ingredients, you most likely won’t have to make any substitutions. But just in case you are out of something, you can find some common alternatives below our ingredients list.
But keep in mind that substitutions can alter your final flavor and texture.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Whole Milk
- Vanilla Extract (optional)
Related: Milk alternatives in pancakes
Substitutions and Alternatives
I’ve included some alternative options for the ingredients I’m asked about most frequently. So if you are out of anything, the following ingredients will work in a pinch.
All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour is the base for our pancakes. If you are all out you can use wheat flour, self rising flour, or a gluten free flour such as almond flour or cassava flour.
Whole Milk: Whole provides both fat and protein to our pancakes so low fat options will reduce the height of your pancakes. But a lower fat milk can be used as well as alternatives such as almond milk or soy milk.
Butter: Butter provides fat and flavor to our pancakes. If you need a replacement use olive oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil.
Related Recipe: Microwave pancakes
Once you have all your ingredients gathered it’s time to get cooking!
Step 1: Add you all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt to your mixing bowl and stir until combined.
Step 2: Separate your eggs into two bowl (yolks in one and whites in the other).
Step 3: In a separate mixing bowl, add your yolks, milk, softened butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk by hand until well combined.
Step 4: While stirring, slowly add your dry mixture until well combined.
Step 5: In your now empty mixing bowl, add your egg whites and whip with your hand mixer until peaks are formed.
Step 6: Immediately fold your whipped egg whites into your mixture until fully incorporated.
Step 7: Bring your skillet to medium heat and use oil or butter to grease your pan.
Note: If using an electric griddle, heat to 375 degrees
Step 8: Once pan has come to temperature, ladle in desired amount of pancake batter.
Step 9: Flip pancake when the entire top of pancake has tiny bubbles formed.
Step 10: Once second side has cooked remove pancake from heat and repeat until all pancake batter is cooked.
Step 11: Top with your favorite pancake toppings and serve immediately.
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Large Eggs seperated
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Tbs Granulated Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 5 Tbs Unsalted Butter softened
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract optional
- Add you all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, and salt to your mixing bowl and stir until combined
- Separate your eggs into two bowl (yolks in one and whites in the other)
- In a separate mixing bowl, add your yolks, milk, softened butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk by hand until well combined
- While stirring, slowly add your dry mixture until well combined
- In your now empty mixing bowl, add your egg whites and whip with your hand mixer until peaks are formed
- Immediately fold your whipped egg whites into your mixture until fully incorporated
- Bring your skillet to medium heat and use oil or butter to grease your pan
- Note: If using an electric griddle, heat to 375 degrees
- Once pan has come to temperature, ladle in desired amount of pancake batter
- Flip pancake when the entire top of pancake has tiny bubbles formed
- Once second side has cooked remove pancake from heat and repeat until all pancake batter is cooked
- Top with your favorite pancake toppings and serve immediately
- Make sure to start cooking your pancakes as soon as you finish folding in your whipped egg whites for the best results.
- You can stir in any add ins such as chocolate chips or berries right before folding in your egg whites.
- Serve your pancakes immediately after cooking.