How to Make Forbidden Rice (Black Rice) in an Instant Pot
Please be aware that this post contains affiliate links. I am an Amazon Associates affiliate, so I get a cut of certain sales.
Here's a look at how to use an Instant Pot to cook perfectly textured black rice, also known as "Forbidden Rice." You won't need to soak the ingredients, and the process is much faster than making it on the stove.
This nutty whole grain rice is a great source of fiber, protein, and antioxidants, and it also happens to be a delicious side dish.
Since I first opened my Instant Pot, I have made countless varieties of rice in it. True story: it's become an absolute must-have item in my kitchen for making rice.
As soon as I had black rice (also called forbidden rice) in a restaurant, I knew I had to figure out how to make it in my Instant Pot.
Clearly, it was a huge success.
Instant Pot Forbidden Rice has quickly become a staple in many households due to its convenient preparation and delicious flavor profile (chewy, nutty, slightly earthy).
Pairs well with a wide variety of proteins, including salmon, fish, chicken, and more. To top it all off, the Instant Pot makes this nutritious alternative to white rice a breeze to prepare. The best part It's a nice change of pace from the same old side dishes we have every night, and it tastes great, too.
Why is some rice off-limits
In China, black rice is often referred to as "forbidden rice." It's a dark rice that turns a purplish color when cooked. Its deep color indicates that it is rich in antioxidants and has been used for centuries in Chinese medicine.Unlawful Rice
The name "forbidden rice" suggests why
Black rice, or forbidden rice, has its origins in ancient China. Black rice was reserved for royalty and the very wealthy during that time. In addition to its value in traditional Chinese medicine, this black rice was highly regarded.
Due to its importance in traditional Chinese medicine, black rice was once reserved exclusively for the emperor. To protect his health, this was off-limits to everyone else. So named because it was once served to the emperor; hence the name "Emperor's Rice." ”
Smell and feel
Similar to more common types of wild rice and hearty brown rice, black rice has a nutty, chewy texture. This Chinese whole grain rice has a robust, earthy flavor that goes well with lighter proteins like fish and chicken. To complement your favorite meals, try this tasty ancient grain.
In addition to being high in antioxidants and fiber, the nearly-blue color of Chinese forbidden rice (black rice) indicates that it is also a good source of protein. Several studies suggest it may also aid cardiovascular health and have cancer-fighting properties.
Black rice has many surprising health benefits and practical applications, which you can learn more about on Healthline.
Exactly what are the benefits of eating black rice?
Among the most common types of rice, black rice is the one with the highest protein content. For this reason, it is a great option for a nutritious side dish. It's ideal for people who could use a nutritional pick-me-up because it's loaded with iron and antioxidants.
The rich purple hue of black rice is easily transferred to whatever it is prepared with. To make the traditional Korean dish known as "purple rice," it is combined with white rice.
Shopping and putting away
Large supermarkets may carry black rice, but your best bet is to look online, at a health food store, or in an Asian market.
Black rice can be kept fresh for up to six months if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Indicators of Recipe Success
- This Instant Pot version of Forbidden Rice doesn't call for soaking, unlike some classic recipes.
- Just set the Instant Pot to cook for the desired amount of time, and return to the dish once the timer goes off.
- Use an Instant Pot for guaranteed success every time.
- A wholesome alternative to white rice
What you'll need for the recipe, right this way.
The ingredients for this dish are listed below.
Alternate versions to test out
- To make your rice more flavorful and luxurious, try substituting stock for the water and unsalted butter for the ghee or olive oil.
- Korea's Purple Rice To the Instant Pot, put 1 cup of short grain rice and 1 1/2 teaspoons of glutinous black rice. Add an additional 1 1/2 teaspoons to the water, bringing the total to 1 cup and 1 1/2 teaspoons. The white short grain rice will take on a purple hue from the black rice.
- Olive oil can replace ghee if you're vegan.
- Make a pilaf or pulao with black rice instead of white rice.
Tips for Anticipatory Planning
Forbidden rice is very simple to prepare in advance, so you can use it for meal prepping or simply keep some on hand.
Prepare your black rice as directed, then let it cool completely. Store the rice in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container with a lid.
Advice on Storing
Black rice can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days if stored in an airtight container.
Add one tablespoon of water per cup of leftover rice when reheating. To prepare, combine all ingredients and set the pressure cooker to zero minutes. As soon as the cooking time is up, turn the valve to the venting position to let the pressure out.
Put it in the freezer and keep it there for a month in an airtight container.Cooking Black Forbidden Rice in a Pressure Cooker
Alternative rice dishes
- Brown rice that isn't gummy, crunchy, or flavorless can be made in an instant pot. Learn the ins and outs of Instant Pot brown rice cooking for consistent results.
- Enjoy perfectly fluffy, individually flavorful Basmati rice in a fraction of the time with the help of your Instant Pot.
- Palak Rice (Spinach Rice) made in an instant pot is a gluten-free meal that's packed with flavor thanks to the addition of fresh vegetables and warm spices.
- Jeera (cumin) rice has a wonderful aroma that will make your mouth water. This aromatic basmati rice is flavored with cumin seeds.
Recipe for Banned Rice to Make in the Instant Pot
- 1 cup the rice that is off-limits
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, or oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- It's best to use a strainer to thoroughly wash the forbidden rice.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and choose Saute on Normal.
- Place 1 tablespoon of ghee in the bottom of the steel pot.
- Once the rice has been cooked, drain it and place it in the inner pot.
- For about 30 seconds, sauté the rice. To cancel, press the cancel button.
- Put some salt and water in the inner pot. Mix well
- Turn the steam valve to the sealing position and close the lid.
- For optimal results, high pressure cooking should be done for 18 minutes.
- Ten minutes after the end of the cooking cycle, turn the valve to the'venting' position to let the pressure out.
- Allow the steam to escape by lifting the lid. After waiting a minute or two, fluff the rice gently with a fork and it will be ready to serve.
- A 6 quart Instant Pot Duo was used to test this recipe. Since an 8-quart Instant Pot requires at least 2 cups of water to come to pressure, you will need to prepare at least 2 cups of forbidden rice.
- The rice cup that came with my Instant Pot has been replaced in this recipe by a standard measuring cup.
- To keep rice from drying out and sticking to the bottom of the Instant Pot, take out the inner pot if serving isn't imminent.
- When reheating rice, you should add 1 tablespoon of water for every 1 cup of rice. Be sure everything is combined, then set the pressure cooker to cook for zero minutes. When the cooking time is up, turn the valve to the venting position to quickly release any remaining pressure.
- To avoid using animal products, substitute olive oil for ghee.
Nutritional values are approximations and may change depending on the specific ingredients and brands used. Please consult a registered dietician or nutritionist if you are experiencing health problems.
Your Next Seafood Delight: Pan-Seared Sea Bass in Minutes! Indulge in a delectable dinner featuring tender, flaky white fish - perfectly pan-seared sea bass. This dish allows the sea bass to shine brightly as the star of the culinary show!Pan-searing is a quick and effortless technique for preparing an
Prepare 8 eggsGather 12 ounces (340 g) of Mexican chorizoAcquire 1 white onionObtain 2 plum tomatoesRetrieve 1 clove of garlicMeasure 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vegetable oilAdd salt to tasteThis recipe yields 4 servingsCollect 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of chorizo sausageObtain 1 large onionGather 4 whole
Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, offers a speedy and effortless option for a side dish! This minuscule pasta is simply irresistible when tossed with a zesty combination of lemon and olive oil.Introducing a versatile and delectable side dish: Israeli couscous, also referred to as pearl
Are you yearning for spaghetti squash but would like to understand the process of cooking it? Well, let me share with you a method for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave that is both simple and efficient, allowing you to have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. All you need is a
VyCook.com is where people can learn all about cooking. With 2M+ keywords, all about flavor, ingredients, recipes, and so on is here!
VyCook.com - Since 2022
25 Constitution Way, Woburn, Massachusetts, US
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (339) 927-9405
Gen in 0.0672 secs