Master the Art of Cooking Delicious Frozen Hash Browns
Have you ever craved hash browns but didn't feel up to the task of peeling, chopping, and frying potatoes? Fear not, for frozen hash browns are a convenient shortcut for home cooks who want a quick and easy side dish. Crispy and delicious, these breakfast potatoes can also double as a steakhouse-style side dish. However, if you've never cooked with frozen hash browns before, it can be daunting. Not to worry though, I'm here to help you out!
What are Hash Browns?Hash browns are made from potatoes that have been shredded or cubed and then frozen. You can also find them pre-formed into patties, which can be cooked using the same methods. They cook up quickly and can be served as a tasty breakfast dish or side during the week.
While there are cooking instructions on the back of the freezer bag, we've got some tips for achieving restaurant-quality hash browns.
How to Cook Frozen Hash Browns in a SkilletIf you're looking for the quickest, and arguably easiest, way to get crispy hash browns, then frying them in a skillet is your best bet. I prefer using a large cast iron skillet or a 12-inch pan.
Set your skillet on medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Once it's hot, add your shredded or frozen hash browns in an even, thin layer about ½-inch thick. Don't pile too many potatoes into the pan; that'll make them take longer to cook through. For my large skillet, I add 3 cups to cover the entire bottom.
Season with salt and pepper or your preferred seasoning.
Cover the pan and let it cook for 5-7 minutes, until the bottom turns golden brown. Flip the hash browns and cook the other side for another 5-7 minutes, until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
Cooking Frozen Hash Browns in the OvenWhen cooking for a large group, making hash browns in the oven is a great method to use. It'll save you time and the hassle of having to stand over a skillet.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and spread a few tablespoons of oil on a baking sheet. Then, spread your frozen hash browns out evenly over the entire pan; don't pile them on top of one another. A layer of ½-inch thickness or less is ideal.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping the hash browns halfway through. The result will be crispy and golden brown hash browns that look and taste like they came out of your favorite restaurant kitchen.
To achieve a crispy and golden exterior and a soft interior, bake shredded potatoes in the oven for 10 minutes on each side.
Microwave Hash Browns
While not as crispy as other methods, microwaving hash browns is a quick and easy option. Simply layer them in a single layer on a microwave-safe dish and cook on full power for 1-2 minutes. Flip and microwave for another 1-2 minutes until fully cooked. Repeat if necessary.
Air Fryer Hash Browns
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees, then add a single layer of hash brown patties, shredded potatoes or potato cubes to the basket. After 8-10 minutes, flip once to cook the other side. Allow the hash browns to cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Thawing Frozen Hash Browns
While they can be cooked from a frozen state, thawing frozen hash browns before cooking removes excess moisture and yields a crisper exterior. For best results, blot the potatoes dry with paper towels and fry in a thin layer in a skillet with some oil or butter.
Using Fresh Shredded Potatoes
Fresh shredded potatoes can be used instead of frozen, provided they are dry enough to achieve a crispy texture. To remove excess starch, rinse them in cold water, then dry with paper towels and lightly coat with oil before cooking.
Hash Brown Variations
Once cooked, top hash browns with caramelized onions and shredded cheese for a savory twist. For added flavor, fry them in bacon grease and sprinkle crumbled bacon on top. Store bacon grease in an airtight container for later use.
If you're looking for ways to elevate your cooking game, here are some of our favorite tips:
- Want to nail thin pork chops without drying them out? Check out this recipe from Wholesome Farmhouse Recipes: https://wholesomefarmhouserecipes.com/how-to-cook-thin-pork-chops-without-drying-them-out/
- If smoked pork chops are more your style, this recipe is a must-try: https://wholesomefarmhouserecipes.com/learn-how-to-cook-smoked-pork-chops/
- Curious about the best way to store fresh eggs? This guide has you covered:
- Looking for a crispy, delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with your favorite steak? Try this easy crispy hash browns recipe from Wholesome Farmhouse Recipes:
Easy Crispy Hash Browns
Whether you're whipping up breakfast or preparing a meal for family and friends, this dish is sure to impress. And don't worry—it's easier to make than it looks!
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- - 3 cups shredded potatoes (frozen or fresh)
- - Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Skillet method:
1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of oil.
2. Add the shredded potatoes and layer them in a thin, ½-inch layer. Avoid piling them too high, or they'll take longer to cook.
3. Cover the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown.
4. Flip the hash browns and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes, until golden and crispy.
1. Preheat your oven to 450°F.
2. Spread 2 tablespoons of oil on a half sheet baking pan.
3. Add a single layer of shredded potatoes, making sure not to pile them too high.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
1. Layer shredded potatoes in a single layer on a microwave-safe dish, approximately ½-inch thick.
2. Microwave for 1-2 minutes on high, then flip and repeat until cooked through.
Air Fryer method:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
2. Place hash brown patties, shredded hash browns, or potato cubes in a single layer in the basket.
3. Cook for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
4. Let cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Hash brown variations:
- - Top with caramelized onions and shredded cheese for an extra flavor boost.
- - Substitute bacon grease for oil or butter for added potato flavor.
- - Crumble cooked bacon over the top for an extra layer of deliciousness.
- - Season with salt, pepper, seasoned salt, or garlic powder to taste.
- Calories per serving: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 1326mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 6IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 3mg
Your Next Seafood Delight: Pan-Seared Sea Bass in Minutes! Indulge in a delectable dinner featuring tender, flaky white fish - perfectly pan-seared sea bass. This dish allows the sea bass to shine brightly as the star of the culinary show!Pan-searing is a quick and effortless technique for preparing an
Prepare 8 eggsGather 12 ounces (340 g) of Mexican chorizoAcquire 1 white onionObtain 2 plum tomatoesRetrieve 1 clove of garlicMeasure 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vegetable oilAdd salt to tasteThis recipe yields 4 servingsCollect 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of chorizo sausageObtain 1 large onionGather 4 whole
Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, offers a speedy and effortless option for a side dish! This minuscule pasta is simply irresistible when tossed with a zesty combination of lemon and olive oil.Introducing a versatile and delectable side dish: Israeli couscous, also referred to as pearl
Are you yearning for spaghetti squash but would like to understand the process of cooking it? Well, let me share with you a method for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave that is both simple and efficient, allowing you to have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. All you need is a