Pan-fried, baked, or broiled Orange Roughy Fish Fillet Recipe.
How do you recommend cooking orange roughy? As an experiment, I tried cooking orange roughy three different ways: pan fried, baked, and broiled. Orange roughy can be prepared many ways, and we'll go over some of them, including grilling and air frying. Try out my suggestion for a healthy meal and make orange roughy fish.
The orange roughy, also known as the slimehead or deep sea perch, is a versatile, low-fat whitefish. We'll be seasoning our orange roughy fillet with some garlic butter and cooking it in a skillet. When in doubt, keep it simple.
Orange roughy recipes can be cooked in the oven, under the broiler, or in a frying pan on the stove. And if your stove breaks, don't worry; orange roughy is also delicious when air fried. In contrast to the common belief, I do not enjoy preparing fish in the oven on hot summer days.
Now could be a good time to give orange roughy a try if you haven't already. Alternatives to more robust fish like tuna and salmon exist in abundance. Even if you don't usually like seafood, you might find that you like the flavor of roughy.
Receive free exclusive goodies, including a 5-day Air Fryer Quick Start Guide, brand-new recipe ideas every other week, and more.
Can you eat orange roughy?
Can you describe the flavor of orange roughy? Orange roughy, in my humble opinion, has a pleasant flavor and a smooth texture. Orange roughy, in my opinion, tastes a little bit like tilapia.
What are orange roughy's advantages?
Just a few of the many reasons you should make this orange roughy recipe:
- Season and cook for a simple fish dish. Leave the foil, parchment, etc., alone. Orange roughy is a fish that can be cooked in a pan or oven without any preheating.
- Orange roughy is a great lean protein option for those trying to lose weight because it is low in calories and fat. However, it is not as high in omega 3s as other fish because it is not a fatty fish. )
- Orange roughy is a low-carb, ketogenic, gluten-free, and vegetarian option. It's suitable for a wide range of restricted diets.
- Flavorful and versatile, orange roughy fish filets are a favorite of mine when prepared properly. Despite what you'll learn in the next section, they're a great main course option for a wide range of home meals.
So why is orange roughy so dangerous?
On the other hand, the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch List does not recommend orange roughy as a sustainable seafood option. If you're concerned about environmental impact, they advise you to look elsewhere for seafood.
The FDA also notes that orange roughy has some of the highest mercury levels of any fish. Orange roughy contains high levels of mercury and should be avoided by pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children. (Bummer )
What Goes Into Making Orange Roughy
The ingredients for this orange roughy recipe are as follows.
The recipe card at the post's end includes detailed instructions, including amounts of each ingredient.
A skinless, boneless, uniformly thick piece of orange roughy is ideal for this dish. I use orange roughy fillets that are a quarter of an inch thick (0. 6 cm) Fish fillets that are too thin around the edges will become dry before the center is cooked.
Cast-iron skillets are ideal for stovetop cooking of orange roughy. Roughy requires a glass baking dish when baked in the oven. Orange roughy is broiled in a metal baking pan.
The fish can be checked for doneness with an instant read thermometer, which you should also have on hand.
Recipe for Seasoning Orange Roughy
The versatility of orange roughy means that it pairs well with many flavors. Here, I've used a salt-free lemon pepper seasoning (to which I've admittedly reintroduced a pinch or two of salt). To spice up your orange roughy even more, try these:
- Cajun-seasoned blackened orange roughy
- Prepare orange roughy with a Parmesan crust.
- Spices from Italy
- Orange roughy with a kick of red pepper flakes.
- Salted butter with garlic
- Powdered onions
Keep in mind that the cooking time may change if you make adjustments to the recipe. Some alternatives include orange roughy almondine or orange roughy with a panko crust. Toss it with some lemon cream sauce, keto pesto, or sweet and sour sauce.
Recipe for Orange Roughy Fish
To my mind, pan frying orange roughy is the best way to prepare it. When compared to baking, pan frying is much quicker because there is no need to preheat the oven. In comparison to broiling roughy, I thought the end product was a little more juicy.
Orange Roughy (Pan Fried) Recipe
Initiate by using paper towels to dry the fish fillet. Sprinkle lemon pepper (and salt, to taste) on both sides.
Put the butter and one minced garlic clove in a cast-iron skillet and heat it over medium heat. Fry the orange roughy in the melted butter. It should take about 5-6 minutes to cook in total, or 3 minutes per side.
If you have a meat thermometer, make sure the thickest part of the fish reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). If more time is required for cooking, it can be added.
Sprinkle some parsley and lemon zest over the fish before serving.
Fish in an Orange Sauce, Baked
Orange roughy: how long to bake it? When should you fish for orange roughy Bake orange roughy at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius) for 6-10 minutes.
To get started, set the oven temperature to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius). The fish should be dried with paper towels and seasoned with lemon pepper (and salt, if desired). To bake the fish, place it in a glass baking dish that has been oiled.
Stir one finely chopped clove of garlic into melted butter. The fish in the baking dish should be covered with the butter mixture. Placing the fish on a rack that is one-third of the way from the top of the oven will ensure that it cooks evenly and quickly in just 6-10 minutes.
After cooking, the fish should be tested to ensure it has reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). Before serving, top with grated lemon peel and a squeeze of lemon juice.
A Delicious Dish of Orange Roughy, Broiled
Orange roughy can be broiled by first drying it with paper towels and then seasoning both sides. Spray some cooking spray in a mini metal baking dish.
Arrange fish in baking dish and drizzle with lemon juice. Important DO NOT yet add the melted butter; doing so could cause your fish to ignite while broiling.
Cook the fish for 5-6 minutes on a low broiler. The amount of time spent broiling should be adjusted based on the internal temperature of the fish.
Butter and garlic should be poured over the fish after it has cooked. (The fresh garlic will lose some of its sharpness when cooked with the butter and fish.) ) Zest a lemon over the top, and have a good time
When is orange roughy safe to eat?
Orange roughy can be consumed safely at temperatures as low as 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). A properly cooked orange roughy will be opaque and flake easily when tested with a fork.
Orange Roughy: Reheating Instructions
The fish in this recipe is best when eaten right away, so don't make more than one serving. Orange roughy, once cooked, can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days if stored in an airtight container. You can reheat it in the microwave or air fryer.
What to do with orange roughy in the kitchen?
What Complements Orange Roughy? Orange roughy is best served with roasted asparagus and wild rice. A rib eye steak cooked in an air fryer and some mashed potatoes would round out the dish nicely.
You can also enjoy orange roughy in these other ways:
Orange roughy has a total of 113 calories per 4 ounce serving.
- Energy: 90
- Fat Content: 1g
- 0 g of saturated fat
- Total cholesterol content: 70mg
- Quantity of Sodium per Serving: 80mg
- 0g of total carbohydrates.
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein, 18g
- Vitamin D: 0% DV
- 6% of the Daily Value for Iron
- 190mg of potassium
Orange roughy, prepared without any additions (such as butter or spices), will be served. Below you'll find a recipe card with detailed nutritional information.
Advice from a Registered Dietitian
This dish is suitable for stage 2 dieting (changeover or maintenance). Make this orange roughy dish healthier by broiling the fish without adding any butter until afterward. Per serving, you'll be able to cut out 100 calories with this.
Because of its white flesh, orange roughy is a healthy, low-fat protein option. Inconveniently, this means you won't get nearly as many of the healthful omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.
Now we know that orange roughy has heart-healthy fats, is high in protein, and has few calories. So
Orange roughy: what's so bad about it?
Orange roughy is high in mercury, which is the main reason for limiting its consumption for nutritional purposes. Swordfish and a few other of my favorite fish are among those with the highest mercury levels. I limit my intake of these to special occasions, preferring instead to focus on low-mercury fish.
Orange roughy and other high-mercury fish should be avoided entirely, especially by pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, and young children. Some examples are the shark, swordfish, tilefish, and king mackerel.
One more reason to stay away from orange roughy is that it's not a fish that can be kept for the long term. The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch List is an excellent tool to use if you're looking to make environmentally friendly seafood selections.
Fish recipes like orange roughy on the grill are simple to prepare. Orange roughy is safe to eat when cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius) for three to five minutes per side on a grill. How long you grill the fillets for is determined by the grill's temperature and their thickness.
Use a seasoning rub and a light coating of oil to make an air-fried orange roughy. If you have an air fryer oven, cook the orange roughy on the upper rack for 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). The fish should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). Follow these steps for filets that are a quarter of an inch thick.
Put the frozen orange roughy filet into the air fryer and thaw it for two to three minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Once the frozen orange roughy has thawed, prepare it as directed above using an air fryer.
Cod, halibut, flounder, sole, and sea bass all share orange roughy's mild flavor and delicate texture. As long as the fillets are roughly the same weight and thickness, you can usually use either of these fish instead.
Alternative Fish Dishes
Searching for additional fish preparation ideas Next, give these a shot:
Sign up to be a part of our group! Follow me on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube to get access to all of the newest and best recipes as soon as they're posted.
The Fine Print...
Whether or not you can eat any of the recipes on this website depends on your specific dietary restrictions and taste preferences. If you need help figuring out what kind of diet might be best for you, talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian.
Listed nutrients are approximations offered as a courtesy. A lot depends on the brands and ingredients you choose. Don't stress out too much about the calorie counts on packaged foods because they may be wildly off.
See my overnight oats without sugar post for more details on how the three tiers of this recipe may aid in your efforts to slim down. Get the stove on!
- 6 ounces a fish of the orange roughy1 Fillet (without skin and bones) weighing 170 grams.
- peppercorns, lemons, and pepper
- salt (in the absence of salt)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove cut into small pieces
- The juice of a freshly squeezed lemon
- lemon zest
- Chopped fresh parsley (accessory of choice)
- To start, use paper towels to dry the fish fillet. Sprinkle some lemon pepper (and salt, to taste) on both sides.
- Butter and garlic should be heated in a skillet made of cast iron over medium heat. Orange roughy should be added to the melted butter. It should take about 5-6 minutes to cook in total, or 3 minutes per side.
- Make sure the innermost part of the fish reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius) on a meat thermometer. To adjust for longer cooking times,
- Garnish the fish with some lemon juice, zest, and parsley before serving.
- Prepare a 425F (218C) oven. Season the fish with lemon pepper (and salt, if desired) and a paper towel. Place fish in a greased glass baking dish.
- Toss one finely chopped clove of garlic into melted butter. After placing the fish in the baking dish, cover it with the butter mixture. For 6-10 minutes, place the fish on a rack that is a third of the way from the top of the oven.
- As a final step, make sure the fish is cooked to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). Before serving, top with grated lemon rind, chopped parsley, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Orange roughy is best cooked in a broiler after being seasoned on both sides and patted dry with paper towels. Prepare a mini-baking sheet by spraying it with cooking oil.
- Arrange the fish in a baking dish and drizzle with lemon juice. Important WARNING: Adding melted butter before broiling could cause your fish to catch fire.
- Cook the fish for 5-6 minutes on a low broiler. The amount of time spent broiling should be adjusted based on the internal temperature of the fish.
- When the fish is done, drizzle it with melted butter and minced garlic. (The fresh garlic will lose some of its bite when cooked with the butter and fish.) Sprinkle with lemon zest and parsley, and dig in!
Your Next Seafood Delight: Pan-Seared Sea Bass in Minutes! Indulge in a delectable dinner featuring tender, flaky white fish - perfectly pan-seared sea bass. This dish allows the sea bass to shine brightly as the star of the culinary show!Pan-searing is a quick and effortless technique for preparing an
Prepare 8 eggsGather 12 ounces (340 g) of Mexican chorizoAcquire 1 white onionObtain 2 plum tomatoesRetrieve 1 clove of garlicMeasure 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vegetable oilAdd salt to tasteThis recipe yields 4 servingsCollect 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of chorizo sausageObtain 1 large onionGather 4 whole
Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, offers a speedy and effortless option for a side dish! This minuscule pasta is simply irresistible when tossed with a zesty combination of lemon and olive oil.Introducing a versatile and delectable side dish: Israeli couscous, also referred to as pearl
Are you yearning for spaghetti squash but would like to understand the process of cooking it? Well, let me share with you a method for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave that is both simple and efficient, allowing you to have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. All you need is a