Quick and Simple Squash and Zucchini Sauté
Delicious keto sautéed squash and zucchini, quick to prepare, are the ideal side dish for any meal.
For your convenience, we've included a "skip to recipe" button in the top left corner and a "table of contents" link just below the fold.
Zucchini and Summer Squash in a Pan-Fried Seasoning
Many gardeners find themselves stumped when faced with an abundance of zucchini each summer.
One of my favorite quick and easy keto side dishes is this sauteed zucchini and summer squash recipe. It's full of flavor, can be ready in under 15 minutes, and goes with practically any meal.
It's versatile enough to be used in a wide variety of dishes, from salads to tacos to burritos to pastas to sandwiches to soups, and you can make it vegan if you like (I prefer butter, but olive oil is an easy swap that we make frequently).
Since they only take a few minutes to prepare, you'll want to make this side dish every night. I also encourage you to visit Sweet C's, where you can find an easy recipe for grilled zucchini and yellow squash, one of my all-time favorite dishes.
In the summer, serve this with ribs, brisket, or even pork tenderloin for a delicious meal.
Squash sauté is one of my go-to side dishes to complement fruit and chicken salads, rice pilaf, and pan-fried broccolini.
Read my web story about how I made this easy meal!
Method for Cooking Zucchini and Summer Squash in a Saute Pan
All you need is:
- Butter, salted, 3 tablespoons (or oil, olive or avocado for vegans).
- Quarter of an onion, white or yellow, diced
- Diced garlic from 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 a summer squash, cut into half moons
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, halved and cut into half-moons
- 1 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Herbs of Italy, 1 Teaspoon
Zucchini moons are used in this dish.
You can brown your zucchini and summer squash more evenly if you cut them into half moons.
The dish benefits greatly from the addition of browning, which triggers the maillard reaction and produces a rich flavor from caramelized sugars in vegetables, especially zucchini.
Cucumbers and squashes should be washed and dried thoroughly before being put away.
Remove the upper and lower halves.
The lengthwise halves of zucchini and squash should be cut out.
Place the flat sides down on the cutting board, and cut them into thin half moons, each no more than a half an inch thick.
Answers to Your Most Common Questions About Perfectly Sautéed Zucchini and Squash
Get the right kind of zucchini. Keep in mind that smaller, softer zucchini and summer squash will yield a more flavorful sauteed side dish. Zucchini and summer squash absorb more water and swell as they mature, diminishing some of their flavor in the process. The skin of zucchini and squash that have been allowed to grow too large can become tough and chewy, and there are more, flavorless seeds.
Advice on Storing and Reheating The following are instructions for storing and reheating this delicious pan-fried zucchini and squash recipe for later:
- Save any leftovers When storing leftovers, make sure to use a container or plastic bag that is airtight and squeeze out as much air as you can. Use within four days; refrigerate immediately. Extra sautéed zucchini does not freeze well and can become mushy when reheated, so I try to use it up as soon as possible.
- Warm up leftover zucchini. The leftovers can be heated through by tossing them in a hot pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Superb when tossed with noodle or rice dishes, home fries, or hash browns.
To Accompany Sautéed Summer Squash and Zucchini
Try some of my other favorite ways to prepare summer squash and zucchini if you enjoy this simple sauteed dish. Picky eaters can't resist the popularity of zucchini staples like chips and pizzas.
Because of its lightness and healthiness, zucchini is a favorite vegetable of ours to serve alongside heavy main courses like hot and fast smoked brisket, grilled flanken ribs, ribeye roast, pork tenderloin, and spaghetti pie.
Cooking squash and zucchini has never been simpler than with this foolproof recipe.
Please rate this recipe five stars and help me promote it on social media by posting about it on Facebook and Pinterest if you enjoyed it as much as we did.
Get in touch with the "sweet C's" Don't miss a single update by not following me on social media.
Social media sites like (but not limited to):
If you're short on time but still want a home-cooked meal, sign up for my 30-minute dinner plans and they'll be sent straight to your inbox.
Read on to discover where you can shop my favored items on Amazon.com.
Recipe for a simple, yet savory, keto-friendly side dish, consisting of sautéed squash and zucchini, onions, and butter.
- Salted butter, 3 tablespoons (or olive or avocado oil, if you're vegan).
- Quarter of an onion, white or yellow, diced
- Ingredients: 4 diced garlic cloves
- 1 squash, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and cut into half-moons
- a pinch of Celtic sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly cracked, 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon of Italian herbs
- To a large, heavy, nonstick skillet, add the butter (or olive oil) and heat over medium-high until melted and foamy.
- Cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, making sure to stir the pan occasionally to avoid burning.
- After the onion has caramelized and the aroma has developed, throw in some zucchini and season it with salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like.
- Continue sautéing for another 8-10 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened and browned.
- Immediately serve
Earning commissions on purchases you make as a result of my participation in affiliate programs, such as Amazon's Associate program, does not increase the price you pay.
- To be specific, I'm interested in the La Tourangelle Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold-Pressed High Antioxidant Picual Olives from Spain, 25.4 fl oz.
- Chopping Block with Juice Grooves and Handles, Extra-Large Cutting Board for Kitchen Use, 1-Inch-Thick Bamboo Cheese Charcuterie Board, Butcher Block
- The imarku Chef Knife is a professional kitchen knife with an ergonomic red handle made from high-carbon German stainless steel.
- As Seen On TV Spurtles Wooden Spurtle Set Spatula Set, 7 Pieces, All Natural, Premium Acacia Wooden Spoons for Cooking, Salad, Mixing, Serving.
- PFAS-Free,Clad, Induction, Dishwasher-Safe, Silver GreenPan Treviso Stainless Steel Healthy Ceramic Nonstick 9.5" and 11" Frying Pan Skillet Set
Number of Servings Calories 113 Total Fat 9g Fatty Acids That Are 100% Saturated 6g Trans Fat 0g Omega-3 Fatty Acids 3g Cholesterol 23mg Sodium 654mg Carbohydrates 8g Fiber 2g Sugar 4g Protein 2g
While Nutritionix does its best to provide accurate nutritional information, it is still recommended that you double-check all numbers and seek professional medical and dietary advice before making any changes based on the data provided.
In order to participate, you can either comment on the blog or pin a photo to the website.
Your Next Seafood Delight: Pan-Seared Sea Bass in Minutes! Indulge in a delectable dinner featuring tender, flaky white fish - perfectly pan-seared sea bass. This dish allows the sea bass to shine brightly as the star of the culinary show!Pan-searing is a quick and effortless technique for preparing an
Prepare 8 eggsGather 12 ounces (340 g) of Mexican chorizoAcquire 1 white onionObtain 2 plum tomatoesRetrieve 1 clove of garlicMeasure 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vegetable oilAdd salt to tasteThis recipe yields 4 servingsCollect 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of chorizo sausageObtain 1 large onionGather 4 whole
Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, offers a speedy and effortless option for a side dish! This minuscule pasta is simply irresistible when tossed with a zesty combination of lemon and olive oil.Introducing a versatile and delectable side dish: Israeli couscous, also referred to as pearl
Are you yearning for spaghetti squash but would like to understand the process of cooking it? Well, let me share with you a method for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave that is both simple and efficient, allowing you to have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. All you need is a