Recipe for Homemade Tater Tots (Instructions for Air Fryer and Oven)
Home » Auxiliary Foods
Affiliate links, denoted by an asterisk (*), are possible throughout this post. For more details, please see my disclaimer.
Discover the simple, yet delicious, art of making Tater Tots at home. With some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, you can make these delicious snacks that are crispy on the outside and smooth and creamy on the inside.
Both an air fryer and a conventional oven are called for in this recipe. * plus baking directionsJump to:
This instruction manual is for you if you, like me, reside in a country where there is no access to tater tots, or if you simply wish to give homemade tater tots a try.
You have complete control over the seasoning and other ingredients when you make your own tater tots at home, and they couldn't be easier to make!
There are many reasons why you will enjoy this dish.
- It's simple, though not quite as simple as microwave frozen tots.
- It only requires 10 minutes of actual cooking time, which is pretty quick.
- It's cheap because it uses common kitchen ingredients.
- Garlic powder and onion powder make them taste amazing.
- Just like a tater tot should be, these turn out crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Exactly what you'll need to create them
- Potatoes, any variety will do, but my favorites are Yukon Gold, Russet, and King Edward.
- You can use any neutral vegetable oil you like, but rapeseed is my go-to.
- You can use potato starch instead of corn starch.
- You can adjust the seasonings to your liking; for a spicier dish, for instance, simply increase the amount of black pepper by half.
Instructions for Preparing Tater Tots
How to Construct an At-Home Air Fryer * For Tater Tots, Par-boil some potatoes. Boil them (optionally peeled) for 8 minutes to achieve this result. Next, drain the potatoes and let them cool down for at least 15 minutes.
- The potato skins can be easily peeled off while grating.
- In a small bowl, mix together the corn starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well
- Mix seasonings and grated potatoes in a large bowl.
- Hand-mix the potatoes and seasonings. Knead the potato mixture for about a minute, just as you would dough for bread.
- Once the ingredients stay put, you can stop working with them.
- A piece of dough is placed in the palm of your hand, and the tots are formed. Gently squeezing it will yield a tot.
- Iterate until the dough is gone or you've made 25 tots.
- Put the tots in a bowl, and then drizzle the oil over them.
- Gently combine so the tots don't lose their form.
- Toss the tator stix into an air fryer that has been preheated and spread them out in a single layer. * air fry at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes in a basket. Toss the tots in a new direction by shaking the basket every 5 minutes.
- Cook and serve right away with ketchup or your preferred sauce.
Various Helpful Hints
- No peeling is required. * potatoes first; they peel cleanly after being grated.
- Cooking potatoes in 2 minutes is a breeze if you cut them into smaller pieces.
- A food processor can be used. * grated potatoes seasoned with herbs and butter
- Achieve uniform cooking by making the tator tots of similar size.
- Before making the tots, dip your fingers in cold water to prevent the dough from sticking to them. When the dough becomes sticky again, start over.
- Flatten the food and air fry it. that everything cooks evenly If you want to double the recipe, you might need to fry them in batches, but my tiny air fryer can fit two servings in a single layer.
- They can also be baked in the oven for 20 minutes at 400°F (200°C) if you place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. After 10 minutes, carefully rotate them.
- Quick service is recommended because they will lose their crispiness if left out.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Use an air fryer to reheat your leftovers. * bake them for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) (shake once halfway through) or fry them in butter.
- You can keep leftovers in the freezer for up to three months.
- Bake for only 6-8 minutes per side if you intend to freeze the entire batch, and then store in plastic bags after they have frozen completely.
Air frying is the best method for achieving a crisp texture in tater tots. Bake them until crisp on the bottom if you don't have an air fryer. Place on a paper towel after cooking to remove any excess oil and enhance the crispiness.
Potatoes, seasonings, and a little flour or starch go into making tater tots.
Even frozen tater tots taste great when prepared in an air fryer. Oil them up, and then air fry them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes. In order to ensure that they cook evenly, you should take the basket out of the oven every five minutes and shake the contents around.
Recipes to Accompany Potato Wedges
These air fryers are the best. * either as a standalone snack or a complement to a protein, tater tots are a versatile food item. A few of my favorite accompaniments are listed below.
In search of additional simple air fryer accompaniments
Have you tried this recipe and enjoyed it? Don't hesitate to give it five stars.
And please tell me in the feedback what you liked best about it.
- The potatoes should be boiled for 8 minutes, then drained and allowed to cool for at least 15 minutes before handling.
- In a tiny bowl, combine corn starch, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.the equivalent of one half a tablespoon of corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon of dried minced garlic, Half a teaspoon of onion powder, 1/2 tsp. of high quality salt, 1/4 of a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the grated potatoes and the spice blend in a bowl. Knead it for about a minute with your hands like you would dough. It is ready when it forms a cohesive mass, much like dough.
- Tots can be made by cutting the dough into 25 pieces and gently squeezing each one. If the dough is sticking to your fingers, wet them slightly. Keep going until all the babies are done. In the meantime, set your air fryer to a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
- Arrange the tots in a dish and drizzle the oil over them. Be careful not to smash the tots as you stir.
- Air fry the tots at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for 15 minutes in a single layer. Take the basket out every 5 minutes and give it a light shake to mix the contents.
- The best way to eat these is right away with your preferred dipping sauce.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden.
- Rest on paper towels to remove excess oil before serving.
- Potatoes, any variety will do, but my favorites are Yukon Gold, Russet, and King Edward.
- An oil derived from a vegetable; rapeseed is preferred but any neutral oil will do.
- Potato starch can be used in place of corn starch.
- You can adjust the seasonings to your liking; for a spicier dish, for example, simply increase the amount of pepper.
- The potatoes' skins will come right off when you grate them, so there's no need to peel them beforehand.
- Make haste by dicing the potatoes and microwaving them for 2 minutes to hasten the cooking process.
- Grated potatoes and seasoning can be combined in a food processor.
- To ensure uniform cooking, the tator tots should be of consistent size.
- If the dough is sticking to your fingers while making the tater tots, dip your fingers in cold water. When the dough becomes sticky again, start over.
- For a uniformly cooked result when using an air fryer, cook in a single layer. If you want to double the recipe, you may need to fry them in batches; my air fryer is small enough that it can fit two servings in one layer.
- Put them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and bake them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) for 20 minutes. When the 10 minutes are up, carefully flip them over.
- Since they will lose their crispness quickly, serve them right away.
- Food can be refrigerated for up to four days if stored in an airtight container.
- Reheat leftovers in a pan with some butter and heat them in an air fryer at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) for 5 minutes (shake once halfway through).
- Keep leftovers for up to three months in the freezer.
- Bake for only 6-8 minutes per side if you plan on freezing the entire batch, then place in plastic bags and store in the freezer until needed.
Dietary estimates are calculated automatically and should only be used as a guide.
Discussions With The Readers
Your Next Seafood Delight: Pan-Seared Sea Bass in Minutes! Indulge in a delectable dinner featuring tender, flaky white fish - perfectly pan-seared sea bass. This dish allows the sea bass to shine brightly as the star of the culinary show!Pan-searing is a quick and effortless technique for preparing an
Prepare 8 eggsGather 12 ounces (340 g) of Mexican chorizoAcquire 1 white onionObtain 2 plum tomatoesRetrieve 1 clove of garlicMeasure 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vegetable oilAdd salt to tasteThis recipe yields 4 servingsCollect 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of chorizo sausageObtain 1 large onionGather 4 whole
Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, offers a speedy and effortless option for a side dish! This minuscule pasta is simply irresistible when tossed with a zesty combination of lemon and olive oil.Introducing a versatile and delectable side dish: Israeli couscous, also referred to as pearl
Are you yearning for spaghetti squash but would like to understand the process of cooking it? Well, let me share with you a method for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave that is both simple and efficient, allowing you to have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. All you need is a