Recipe for Miniature Roasted Potatoes
Home » Various Complementary Dishes
A small serving of roasted mini potatoes is the ideal accompaniment to any meal. These are seasoned with Chinese five spice powder, making them golden and tender, but you could use any blend of herbs and spices you like.
Roasted baby potatoes are a great option for a quick and healthy side dish. Once the potatoes have been sliced and seasoned, they only need 30 minutes in the oven to achieve that ideal golden brown color and slightly crispy exterior.
Almost every meal has them as a side dish. Within the past month alone, we have paired them with roasted pork tenderloin, oven-baked chicken breasts, and grilled salmon. They go great in breakfast burritos or (room temperature) in a kale salad with a Thai twist.
Ingredients for delicious mini roasted potatoes:
What follows are the main ingredients (and associated affiliate links) for this dish:
- When preparing the potatoes, I used those measuring between 1 and 2 inches in diameter, halving the smaller ones and quartering the larger ones.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: any kind will do.
- Chinese 5-spice powder can be found in the spice aisle of most supermarkets. Grilled potatoes with smoked paprika and rosemary are just one example; feel free to experiment with other spice or herb combinations (see below for suggestions).
- For the parsley, chop some flat-leaf (Italian) parsley. That's up to the reader.
Ingredients and instructions can be found on the recipe card below.
A recipe for mini roasted potatoes:
To roast potatoes, you simply slice them, toss them in oil and seasonings, and put them in a hot oven. To that end, I'll share a few of my favorite ways to ensure that these potatoes turn out perfectly every time.
Slicing the potatoes:
These diminutive tubers range in size from one to three inches. Trim them to size. In the past, I have halved very small (1-inch) potatoes and quartered larger mini potatoes. If you'd like larger servings, feel free to cut the larger potatoes in half. On the other hand, you might need to extend the cooking time just a little.
Infused oil and seasonings:
Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and any other spices or herbs you like. I incorporated Chinese five spice powder into this dish. Continue reading below for some additional seasoning ideas.
Get the kitchen ready:
Toss the potatoes in cold water and let them sit while you preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Two racks in the oven, one in the middle and one on the bottom. Prepare a large baking sheet with cooking spray for quick cleanup.
Don't crowd the potatoes in the pan; an even layer will ensure that they all get a chance to brown and cook through. To ensure that the cut sides of the potatoes get a nice browning, I flip them over and let them rest for a few extra minutes. This is not necessary.
If you're going to roast the potatoes, you should:
Before anything else, roast the potatoes for 15 minutes on the middle rack. During the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking, shake the pan to loosen the potatoes, and then transfer it to the lower oven rack. They're done when the undersides are golden brown and a fork easily pierces the tender flesh.
Answering the question, "What is Chinese Five-Spice Powder?"
Cinnamon, star anise, fennel seed, cloves, and Szechuan peppercorns are the components of Chinese 5-spice powder. It's available in supermarkets and on the internet.
Besides salt and pepper, you can also season roasted potatoes with:
It seems like there's no limit to the number of flavor combinations you can use with potatoes Some of my favorites are listed below.
- As in this recipe for grilled potatoes, smoked paprika, rosemary, salt, and pepper
- A blend of spices including cumin, ground coriander, paprika, salt, and pepper
- Seasonings of rosemary, salt, and pepper
- Mixed seasonings of salt, pepper, and lemon pepper
- Spice it up with some Herbes de Provence, some salt, and pepper.
- Mix in some Za'atar, and season with salt and pepper.
In order to achieve the best flavor, serve roasted potatoes while they are still hot from the oven. However, you can re-heat them the following day if you wish to.
Once the potatoes have cooled, transfer them to an airtight container and place them in the fridge.
The potatoes should be reheated in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, after which they should be served. They are just as delicious after being reheated in an air fryer.
How about heating them in the microwave? Yes, but the "crunch" from roasting will be gone and the texture will be softer overall.
Leftover roasted mini potatoes can be added to a salad, like this green one, at room temperature.
At what temperature do potatoes cook best?
In general, roasting potatoes at temperatures between 400 and 425 degrees F is effective, though I find that 425 degrees F produces a more evenly golden crust.
When roasting potatoes, how long do you leave them in the oven?
How long you roast potatoes for is determined by both oven temperature and potato size. Cooking time increases with both the size of the potato pieces and the temperature. Cut small potatoes in half or quarters and roast them at 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes to make roasted mini potatoes.
- 1 ½ pounds minor matter cuts in half or quarters (See Note 1)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon Spice mix commonly used in Chinese cooking (Note 2 below)
- ½ teaspoon A jar of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped optional
- Prepare 425 degrees Fahrenheit oven Put a rack in the middle and one in the bottom of the oven.
- Sprinkle some cooking spray on a large baking sheet.
- Form a mound of potatoes in the center of the baking sheet. Toss the potatoes with the olive oil, five spice powder, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the potatoes with the olive oil and seasonings until they are evenly coated.
- For optimal browning of the cut sides, spread the potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet, cut side down (not required).
- In the center of the oven, with the baking sheet inside Roast the potatoes for 15 minutes After a brief shake to loosen the potatoes, you can move the baking sheet to the lower rack. Add another 10 to 15 minutes of roasting time if necessary to achieve a golden brown and tender potato. After 15 minutes, if the potatoes weren't placed cut-side down, turn them over with a spatula and return to the oven. )
- Mix the parsley (optional) into the potatoes. Serve
I am a member of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to give me a chance to earn fees by referring customers to Amazon. and related domains
Engagement with the Reader
Your Next Seafood Delight: Pan-Seared Sea Bass in Minutes! Indulge in a delectable dinner featuring tender, flaky white fish - perfectly pan-seared sea bass. This dish allows the sea bass to shine brightly as the star of the culinary show!Pan-searing is a quick and effortless technique for preparing an
Prepare 8 eggsGather 12 ounces (340 g) of Mexican chorizoAcquire 1 white onionObtain 2 plum tomatoesRetrieve 1 clove of garlicMeasure 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of vegetable oilAdd salt to tasteThis recipe yields 4 servingsCollect 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of chorizo sausageObtain 1 large onionGather 4 whole
Israeli couscous, also known as pearl couscous, offers a speedy and effortless option for a side dish! This minuscule pasta is simply irresistible when tossed with a zesty combination of lemon and olive oil.Introducing a versatile and delectable side dish: Israeli couscous, also referred to as pearl
Are you yearning for spaghetti squash but would like to understand the process of cooking it? Well, let me share with you a method for cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave that is both simple and efficient, allowing you to have dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. All you need is a